Social Housing, Dublin City Council.
8th September 1937
J. and D. McIlvenna, Drumcondra Works, Tolka Bridge, Drumcondra
Harrington and Goodlass Wall and Co.
Sanitaryware and fireplaces:
J.J. O’Hara and Co., Lincoln Place
Macnaughton’s ‘Twisteel’ Reinforcement (Dublin) Co.
Concrete Products of Ireland, Ltd. Dolphin’s Barn.
Steel casement windows:
Brooks, Thomas and Co.
Mr. Patrick Lynch, Hawkin Street.
Gallagher and Son. Liffey Ironworks.
Irish Coloured Cement, Ltd. West Pier, Howth.
Mr. M.L Smith, Plumbing, Waterloo Road.
Messrs. E. Shepherd and Sons, City Chambers, Dame Street
The Holy Child Housing Society low rental dwellings.
Building erected in accordance with the Building Acts 1932-34 and subsidised by the Government.
2 storey apartment building with balcony access. 5 apartments on each storey.
Reinforced concrete solid raft foundation. Cast in situ 230mm thick concrete reinforced walls, and balconies. Timber joist roof.
Building fully internally plumbed and wired for electric light.
£4,100 including wrought iron gates and railings.
Construction time: 12 months.
Recent re-roofing with new ceramic tiles.
Superstructure in original condition. Some windows blocked from inside, but retained original metal frames. Most windows replaced with various types of mismatched uPVC frames and double glazing. External porches added to two gable end apartments. Second pair of entrance doors added to all other apartments. Internal changes vary with occupiers.
Each apartment was fitted in functional kitchen/larder/WC based on ‘Frankfurt Kitchen’ model of 1926 worker’s social housing designed by Margarete Schütte-Lihotzky. Kitchen featured rational work sequence layout that became the model for modern fitted kitchen standard.
Kitchens included baths that could be covered and converted into a kitchen worktop.