Production and testing of bus and lorry chassis
Warehouse for Office of Public Works (OPW)
Jamestown Road, Inchicore, Dublin 8
Design team: Pat Scott, Paddy Hammilton, Kevin Roche, Wilfie Cantwell, Kevin Fox, Paddy Corcoran, Bill O’Dwyer (3.1.1)
Ove Arup & Partners
National Transport Company (CIÉ)
Contract signed 11 Jun 1947, work to be completed in 21 months (3.3.1)
Steel frame building with open plan work area. 12×6 bays of 9.1m (30ft) spacing. Single row of steel columns spaced at 9.1m in the centre. Crane operating along the full width of the factory.
East elevation glazed in thin-framed aluminium patent glazing (1.7m high x 60cm wide panels) and Aluminex north lights (3.4.2) to allow as much natural light as posssible.
As the factory was about to start, the CIÉ due to financial diffculties abandoned the manufacturing plans, and the factory was given to the Board of Works as a storage facility.